Testimonies Bariatric surgery Montpellier
Obesity constitutes an important health risk factor, it increases the risks of mortality and decreases life expectancy.
In addition, a multiplicity of studies showed only one success mitigated in the short run of the slimming modes, which they are associated or not with the exercise.
Later on, the results are even more disappointing. As for the pharmacological treatments, their results are quite as weak.
It is in such a context that appeared the bariatric surgery. Initially modest, its results are now definitely more satisfactory than those of the current treatments.
The laparoscopy thereafter made it possible to reduce the risks of the intervention to the minimum. More and more of studies revealing the effectiveness and the little of risks of the various types of surgery.
It is in the light of such data that WHO considers from now on that the bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment among patients reached of serious or very serious obesity. (pag 249 report WHO 2003; OMS 2003 ; bibliographie )
Admission criteria to bariatric surgery
- IMC > 40 (index of body mass = mass/taille2 expresses in kg/m2)
- IMC > 35 and 1 concomitant disease (syndrome of sleep apnea, arterial hypertension, cardiac disease, dyslipidemy, diabetes of the type 2, osteoarthritis, disorders psychological and emotional secondary, backward flow gastro-œsophagien, etc)
- Failure of the usual treatments of control of the weight
- Optimal motivation
- Comprehension of the intervention and the importance of long-term medical monitoring
Warning on testimonies of the patients
The result of the bariatric surgery is specific to each one!
- It is function of the good surgical success of the act,
- It depends on the commitment of the patient to respect the instructions of the post-operative follow-up with a strict observance of the hygiéno-dietetic rules,
- It depends on the physical-activity. .
One should never forget the potential complications of the bariatric surgery!
For more information on the risks consult the pages dedicated to the complications (gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy, by-pass)
Testimonies bariatric surgery Montpellier
Patient operated of Sleeve Gastrectomie
To stabilize the weight loss and to keep the ideal weight at 3 years of Sleeve Gastrectomy
Keys of success:
1. To eat fruits & vegetables
2.Reduced volumetry of each meal (100 DC)
3.Regular aerobic sports: Nordic walking, walk in sea water, bicycle, swimming, aquagym, aquabike, excursion
By Pass and Sleeve Gastrectomie + Sport + alimentary education :
The aerobic physical-activity associated with the respect of a low-calorie split food improves the results of the bariatric surgery!
Therapeutic programme of education of the obese patient. Montpellier, 2012
The purpose of therapeutic education is to train the patients with self-management. Obesity is a chronic disease: the patient must adapt to the constraints of the bariatric surgery to cope with the daily follow-up. Therapeutic education for what ?
- To set up an approach innovating and participative, you are more responsible and autonomous. You become your own sentinel and actor of your health: You take care of you.
- To reduce the frequency and the gravity of the acute accidents of your chronic disease: hospitalizations in urgency!
- To improve quality of life: so that you arrange yourselves with your disease, and live your life as well as possible.
- Varied health carers
How does it go the therapeutic education of the obese patient?
- To NOTE
- 1. The workshops are held into ambulatory or another meeting rooms. Sometimes several workshops, sometimes only one in the same day.
2. They are free, (only transport is not dealt with)
3. They can be individual or collective
4. The couple or other members of the entourage are welcome.
- A few months later, you are contacted for evaluation of acquired competencies; new meetings can be programmed again..
Each obese is invited to take part in the programme of therapeutic education of the patient, animated by endocrinologists, dieticians, a psychologist and a surgeon.
After an individual maintenance, the patients take part in 3 collective meetings.
The workshops are:
1) The knowledge of disease-obesity and its complications
2) Causes of the catch of weight (management of the stress, regard of oneself, or disorders of the body diagram)
3) Food balance
4) Importance of the physical-activity
5) Surgical Techniques
- KEY POINTS OF THERAPEUTIC EDUCATION
- Individual education: It rests on a food consumption survey which makes it possible to pose a personalized diagnosis. The food behavioral problems of each patient will be evaluated..
- Education of group: It is a question of organizing with a specialized team of the working groupsl.
- Psychiatric evaluation: Each point is approached with the assistance of a psychologist that it is the management of the stress, the regard of oneself, or the disorders of the body diagram. .
- Readjustment with the physical-activity: Physical rehabilitation forms integral part of the therapeutic programme of education of the obese one. It is the key point which makes it possible to make negative the energy balance and which is responsible for a durable and prolonged weight loss.
Between the meetings, the patients hold a log book.
At the conclusion of the program, the therapeutic team of education meets to discuss the progression of each one, and to propose a new accompaniment (dietetic, psychological, adapted physical-activity…).